History, statistics and characteristics
In the early 90s, after the collapse of the Soviet Union and the huge social and economic changes in Hungary, the Alapítvány a Vidék Kis- és Középvállalkozásainak Fejlesztésére - Baranya Megyei Vállalkozói Központ (Baranya County Enterprise Center) was found, mainly for helping the regions’ new micro, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and to use the PHARE programme and other foreign aids to spread enterprenurial culture. By the mid 90s, all 19 Hungarian counties had one enterprise center (enterprise agency) each. Our main goal and mission has always been to help the local SMEs by coaching, business guidance, tender, microfinance and other projects. The European Union (EU) - apart from the PHARE programme - sent volunteers to Central Europe, who introduced the post socialist countries to market economy’s new aspects. Thus came a former vietnam veteran and Peace Corps mentor to Baranya County. The Szentlőrinci Gazdanapok agricultural and food exhibition and fair, a true “farmer show” was originally his dream and idea.
In 1994, BMVK’s biggest project was born: the first agricultural show near Pécs. Our foundation is proud to organize the 22nd annual Szentlőrinci Gazdanapok. Year after year, more and more visitors and exhibitors attend our fair, which is now Hungary’s 3rd-4th biggest agricultural exhibition. Szentlőrinci Gazdanapok is regarded as one of the largest and most successful agricultural event in the western region of Hungary.
Primarily funded by the EU, we have developed steadily over the years. Our visitors and exhibitors have more than 10 000 m² of open air space, plus insulated indoor exhibition space inside our pavilions (Exhibition Hall and Tent Pavilion), lightweight tents, and booths at their disposal. Moreover, we also have a traditional tatched roof exhibition building for livestock showcase, and a food court with traditional ovens. Visitor loyalty is just as important to us, as the satisfaction of our regular Exhibitors who return year after year. Every year is a new challenge and we strive to exceed Visitors’ and Exhibitors’ expectations.
In 2014, a new building called Primary Producers’s House was be built in order to allow primary producers and local farmers to sell their goods, and to have a spot for gatherings and programs.
- agricultural machinery, tools and equipment (local, national and international manufacturers and distributors)
- crop production (seeds, fertilzers and various pesticide and biocides, agricultural technology)
- livestock (farm animals, small animals, pets, feed processign)
- food products (meat, dairy, bakery, winemaking)
- related sectors (finance, agricultural media, partner organisations, agricultural education)
- agricultural and food SMEs can showcase and sell their goods and services inside one of our pavilions,
- agricultural and food SMEs can showcase and sell their goods and services atopen air exhibition space,
- livestock and pets, such as horses, cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, hare and all sorts of smaller pets can be seen in the tatched roof building,
- professional conferences, round-table discussions and forums are held and assisted by renowned experts,
- tasters, traditional culinary wonders in our food court and at Exhibitors,
- entertainment by musicians, comedians, jump castle, playground, mini theatre for children,
- craftsman fair.
Visitor loyalty is just as important to us, as the satisfaction of our regular Exhibitors who return year after year. The Szentlőrinci Gazdanapok is not simply and solely an expo for professional farmers to get the latest and greatest info on agriculture, but a place for all of us: for those who enjoy traditional values, who love new and long forgotten food and beverages, who want to spend a pleasant time with their family.